Griffin Corporation, Consultant - May 1993 to present
Design and place research programs concerned with Environmental Chemistry and Residue Chemistry at various contract laboratories, monitor progress of studies, review study reports, write reports to satisfy EPA requirements, and interact with EPA personnel on registration and science issues. In addition, I have done short term consulting for other companies on related issues.
Ciba Corporation, Greensboro, NC
- Director of Metabolism (Agricultural Division) - October 1988 to April 1993, provide direction to a department of 83 full-time and 8 part-time scientists with the objective of defining the metabolic fate of agricultural chemicals in plants, animals, and the environment. Other responsibilities include application of computers to acquire, calculate, and format data from automated instrumentation, maintenance of a laboratory building housing 145 scientists and support personnel, and synthesis of radioactive compounds used in metabolism studies.
- Director of Biochemistry - October 1978 to September 1988, provide direction to a department of 48 to 78 full-time scientists conducting studies to define the metabolism and magnitude of residues of agricultural chemicals in plants and animals.
- Manager of Residue Studies - August 1973 to September 1978, provide direction to a group of 20 to 28 scientists conducting studies to determine the magnitude of residues of agricultural chemicals in plant and animal studies.
University of Missouri (Department of Plant Pathology) - Columbia, MO, Teaching and research appointment to the faculty - September 1965 to August 1973
Began as Assistant Professor and advanced to the rank of Professor in May of 1973. Taught courses in Fruit Pathology, Techniques and Instrumentation for Biochemical Research, Fungal Physiology, and Comparative Pathology. Directed five doctoral students to completion of degrees, also two post doctorates and two technicians. Acquired grants from USDA, EPA, industry and NSF amounting to approximately $300,000 during the eight years at Missouri. Conducted basic and applied research programs which resulted in approximately twenty publications in refereed journals and several annual growers spray bulletins to fruit growers.
US Department of Agriculture (Cooperative State Research Service), September 1971 to June 1972 (leave of absence from University of MO)
Administered $500,000 in special CSRS grants, was the liaison between USDA and EPA on pesticide related matters, served on the President's Task Force on PCBs and the Federal Working Group for Pesticides, conducted CSRS departmental reviews for 18 departments at 11 Land Grant Universities, and reviewed numerous Hatch and State projects. Served on EPA and NIH grant review panels during and after working for USDA. Retained a 25% appointment to CSRS after returning to the University of Missouri.
Boyce Thompson Institute, September 1961 to August 1985
Conducted research on mechanism of fungicides and the fate of chemicals in the environment. Was co-principal investigator of an NIH grant.
Senior editor of one book, author of 21 research papers in refereed journals and six invitational papers to books.
- Leader of US/People's Republic of China Project on Integrated Pest Management. 1980 - 1981. Made two official visits to PRC and received two groups from PRC.
- Leader of US/USSR Project on Integrated Pest Management. 1972 - 1981. Traveled to USSR six times and received seven groups from USSR.
- Member of Standing Committee for International Congress for Plant Protection from 1975 to present. Chairman of Organizing Committee to IXth ICPP held in Washington, DC in 1979. EDUCATION
- Numerous courses in administration including courses at The University of Virginia, Virginia Polytech Institute, and in-house courses at Ciba.
- University of Illinois, Urbana, IL - Ph. D. in Plant Pathology - 1961, M. S. in Plant Pathology - 1959.
- Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL. - B. S. in Agriculture (Horticulture_ 1956.
- Outstanding Achievement Award-College of Agriculture, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL - 1995.
- Fellow of the American Phytopathological Society of America - 1988.
- Awarded Outstanding Alumnus-College of Agriculture, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL - 1980.
- Adventures In Agriculture Award. Awarded by USDA Secretary of Agriculture, at the International Plant Protection Congress in Washington, D.C., 1979.
- American Phytopathological Society - Served on APS Foundation Board and wa chairman for four years, served on numerous committees. Member since 1958.
- Weed Science Society of America - past chairman of International Committee.
- Guilford Technical Community College - Served on GTCC Foundation Board and was president of Foundation Board for six years.
- Rotary International - Served on Board of Directors, past vice president, and past president.
- Active in Local Baptist Church.